East European Performing Arts Platform (EEPAP) supports the
development of contemporary performing arts (dance and theatre)
in 18 countries of Central and Eastern Europe.
Site-Specific Commission: Grytviken Whaling Station, South Georgia
Deadline: 12 January 2020
Under the umbrella of the GSGSSI heritage strategy and Conservation Management Plan for Grytviken, SGHT and FOSGI are hosting an international competition that will engage creative practitioners from varying artistic disciplines to develop a site-specific commission to celebrate the whale through a reinterpretation of the former Flensing Plan. This is an inspirational project, an opportunity to create a legacy for the future, a message of hope for the natural world and a reinterpretation that will challenge visitors to consider man’s changing relationship with nature and in particular with the whale.
The winning commission will be selected by a diverse panel representing GSGSSI, South Georgia stakeholders and the creative community; the chosen applicant(s) will create a creative intervention that will set the scene for visitors to Grytviken. Its purpose is to help visitors interpret Grytviken’s past and present and to celebrate the recolonization of whales, seals, seabirds and plant life, thanks to excellent British stewardship and environmental management of South Georgia’s terrestrial and marine environments.
This commission is part of a cultural heritage programme to communicate a poignant message about our changing attitudes to nature and the need for resolute stewardship of our oceans and the natural world.
The competition will take place in two phases, with applicants invited to submit preliminary proposals followed by a shortlisting process.
- 4 November 2019 – application process open
- 12 January 2020 (17.00hrs GMT) – application deadline
- February – all applications will be considered by the pre-selection panel
- February / March – selected applications will be considered by the judging panel
- March – 3 shortlisted applicants notified
- April – 3 shortlisted applicants present further developed proposals to the judging panel at interview
- May – the final selected commission will be announced
Find out more on http://www.sght.org/commission-grytviken-whaling-station-south-georgia/