East European Performing Arts Platform (EEPAP) supports the
development of contemporary performing arts (dance and theatre)
in 18 countries of Central and Eastern Europe.
Katarzyna Chmielewska - Dancer, choreographer
Katarzyna Chmielewska (1974)
- dancer, choreographer, dance teacher
- founder of the Dada von Bzdülöw Theatre
- since 2008, Managing Director of the Dada von Bzdülöw Artists Association
She graduated from the State Ballet School in Gdańsk (1984-1993) and studied at P.A.R.T.S in Brussels (1996-1997). She has cooperated with the following Polish institutions: the Ballet Group of the Baltic State Opera House in Gdańsk (1993-1994), the Gdańsk Dance Theatre (1994-1995), Gombrowicz’s City Theatre in Gdynia (1997-2000), Klub Żak in Gdańsk (2000-2008), and the Wybrzeże Theatre in Gdańsk (2008-present).
In 1993, together with Leszek Bzdyl, she founded the Dada von Bzdülöw Theatre where she still teaches contemporary dance technique and improvisation.
She makes her own choreographies: "/Si/" (2000), "Dialogus in conventione" (2001), "so beautiful" (2002), "Bonsai" (2005), "Juicy Flesh" (2005), and co- creates and performs in most of the performances: "Magnolia" (2003), "Several Witty Observations" (2004), "Eden" (2006), "Factor T" (2008), "Red grass (2009), "Caffe Latte" (2009), "Le Sacre" (2010), "FRUU" (2011), "Invisible Duets" (2011).
She has co-created performances with other choreographers such as: Melisa Monteros ("Collisions", 1995, "Walk-Aways", 1996), Avi Kaiser ("In the Body", 1999), Tatiana Baganowa ("Papugaj", 2000), Roberto Olivan ("Natural Strange Days", 2001), and Chiharu Mamiya- Jędrzejewska ("Complexion", 2007).
She has made choreography and stage movement for various Polish Drama Theatres, including Gombrowicz's City Theatre in Gdynia: "Don’t interrupt the fun" (1997), Wybrzeże Theatre in Gdańsk: "The Vagina Monologues" (2002), "The Seagull" (2002), "Tales of Common Insanity" (2003), "Orchestra Titanic" (2007), "Walworth Farce" (2008), "Zawicza Czarny" (2010), "To be like Kazimierz Deyna" (2010), the Studio Theatre in Warsaw: "The Seagull" (2002), "Duchess Amalfi" (2010), the Powszechny Theatre in Kraków: "Sindbad" (2004), Stefan Jaracz’s Theatre in Olsztyn: "A Respectable Wedding" (2009), the Drama Theatre in Wałbrzych: "The Revenge" (2009).
Katarzyna Chmielewska has participated in a number of Polish and international productions, including:
- Landscape X project - she performed in The Rape of Europe by Piotr Cieplak (Stockholm 1998)
- X-group – a project for young contemporary dance artists, where she created her trio Enter. With Magdalena Reiter, she co-created a duet called All these apropos (P.A.R.T.S, Brussels 2000).
- B-Visible – an improvisation workshop that she hosted (Gent 2002)
- Improvisation – she participated in a series of improvisation workshops with Thomas Houert (Prague 2003)
- Trans Danse Europe – a European project, where she co-created the performance "Several Witty Observations" (Avignon, Brussels, Helsinki, Prague, Reykjavik 2004-2006)
- ODYS-SEAS – she performed in a project held on the premises of the Gdańsk Shipyard (Gdańsk 2004)
- "Angels of Stealth" - she choreographed and performed in a multimedia performance by Rodney Place (Warsaw-Paris 2005-2006)
- Co- Operation – she participated in an international exchange lab for choreographers (Gdańsk- Geneva-Paris 2006)
- Real time composition - she participated in a coaching project with Michael Schumaher (Old Brewery, Poznań 2007)
- Turning Point – she co-created a duet with Bożena Eltermann (Gdańsk 2008)
- Factor T – she took part in a performance co-produced by Old Brewery Poznań and Dance Advance Philadelphia, and presented in Poznań and at Live Arts Festival in Philadelphia (2007-2008)
- Incubator – she led a series of workshops where, with a group of Tri-City b’boys and young dance students of Klub Żak Alternative Dance School in Gdańsk, she created a performance A Substitute World (Klub Żak, Gdańsk 2008)
- "Barricade of Love" – a happening/performance of Dada von Bzdülöw and a music band Pink Freud (The Art Coast Festival, Wybrzeże Theatre, Gdańsk 2008)
- Traffic Project - she led an open dance workshop (The Art Coast Festival, Wybrzeże Theatre, Gdańsk 2008) / Before Noon Before Dusk – a performance by Piotr Cieplak, where she performed and co-created the choreography (The New Theatre, Łódź 2009)
- Macbeth – she performed in a multimedia performance produced by The International Shakespeare Festival (Gdansk 2010).
With the Dada Theatre, she has performed in Poland, Belgium, Canada, Cyprus, The Czech Republic, England, Finland, France, Germany, India, Ireland, Island, Israel, Italy, Lithuania, Palestine, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the USA.