East European Performing Arts Platform (EEPAP) supports the
development of contemporary performing arts (dance and theatre)
in 18 countries of Central and Eastern Europe.
Deadline: 31 July 2018
[email protected] CRITICS RESIDENCY
Association Divadelná Nitra together with its partners
- Zbigniew Raszewski Theatre Institute, Poland
- Trafó – House of Contemporary Arts, Hungary
- Arts and Theatre Institute, Czech Republic
- The Theatre Institute Bratislava, Slovakia
- East European Performing Arts Platform, Poland
- Visual and Performing Arts Centre ART CORPORATION, Belarus
- Center for Cultural Projects Azart, Moldova
announce an open call for young theatre critics from
BELARUS, CZECH REPUBLIC, HUNGARY, MOLDOVA, POLAND, ROMANIA, SERBIA, SLOVAKIA, UKRAINE
to take part in the [email protected] CRITICS RESIDENCY 2018.
A 7-day residency under the mentorship of Patrice Pavis (France) at the Divadelná Nitra International Theatre Festival 2018 open to young theatre critics up to 35 years of age.
28 SEPTEMBER 2018 - 3 OCTOBER 2018
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 31 JULY 2018
Participants will be selected from:
- Belarus, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Ukraine: 2 participants
- Moldova, Serbia: 1 participant
One substitution will be also chosen from each country.
[email protected] CRITICS RESIDENCY is a creative platform for young theatre critics who will, under the leadership of world-renowned theatre theorist Patrice Pavis (France), attend the 27th edition of the Divadelná Nitra Festival.
Participants will follow the main programme of the festival and they will work together with Patrice Pavis as their mentor, mediator and facilitator.
The participants will be tasked to prepare and make a presentation about the current situation in the performing arts scene in their country, to publish an article which can take the form of review about the Divadelná Nitra performances or interview with artists presented at the festival.
They will also attend and participate in artist talks with selected artists and each day they will work with Patrice Pavis, discussing and reflecting on the productions they have seen.
The festival programme will be published in July on www.nitrafest.sk.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit an application form and your professional bio in English to the project partner in your country:
- Slovakia / The Theatre Institute Bratislava / Diana Selecká / [email protected]
- Czech Republic / Arts and Theatre Institute / Martina Pecková Černá / [email protected]
- Hungary / Trafó – House of Contemporary Arts / Beáta Barda / [email protected]
- Poland / Zbigniew Raszewski Theatre Institute / Edyta Zielnik / [email protected]alny.pl
- Ukraine / Romania / Serbia / EEPAP / Anna Strzałkowska / [email protected]
- Moldova / Center for Cultural Projects AZART / Rusanda Curca / [email protected]
- Belarus / ART CORPORATION / Alexandra Danilevich / [email protected]
DEADLINE: 31 JULY 2018
Professional theatre critics up to 35 years of age – citizen of one of the countries involved in the project (priority will be given to applicants who already pursue their professional carriers in theatre criticism, not students)
Fluent in English (both spoken and written)
Interested to improve his / her presentation skills, critical reflection skills, and analysis of a theatre production and festival dramaturgy
The selected participants will receive:
The opportunity to follow the 27th edition of the Divadelná Nitra under the mentorship of Patrice Pavis
Tickets to all festival performances of the main programme and access to accompanying events
Accommodation for 7 nights including breakfast
Reimbursement of travel costs to Nitra (the most economical means of transport)
Lunches during their stay at the Festival
What to expect during the [email protected] CRITICS RESIDENCY?
Residency mentor Patrice Pavis: We will take the different performances as a point of departure for our discussion and analysis. The main questions will be:
- How to approach such a specific performance and what kind of performance analysis is possible?
- What knowledge do we need to receive a performance and react to it?
- What tools are available to analyse, or simply discuss, a performance?
- What is the difference between a performance and a mise en scène?
- What is your own practice of criticism and theory?
Patrice Pavis, France – Residency mentor
Patrice Pavis was Professor of Theatre Studies at the University of Paris (1976–2007). He was Professor at the School of Arts at the University of Kent in Canterbury. In 2011 and 2012 he was a visiting professor at the Korea National University of the Arts. He has published a dictionary of theatre and books on semiology, performance analysis, contemporary French dramatists, and contemporary theatre. His most recent book publications are La mise en scène contemporaine (Armand Colin, 2007; English translation, Routledge, 2013) and Dictionnaire de la performance et du théâtre contemporain (Armand Colin, 2014; English translation for Routledge, 2016). L'analyse des spectacles (3ed.) 2017; L'analyse des textes contemporains, Armand Colin, 2017.
For more information, please see:
International Theatre Festival / Association Divadelná Nitra
Svätoplukovo nám. 4, 950 53 Nitra, Slovakia
Facebook: Divadelna Nitra, Instagram: divadelna nitra, skype: nitrafest