development of contemporary performing arts (dance and theatre)
in 18 countries of Central and Eastern Europe.
Svetlana Ulanovskaya - dance and ballet critic, researcher of contemporary dance, lecturer
Svetlana Ulanovskaya graduated from the department of Belarusian and world culture of the Belarusian State University of Culture and Arts (Minsk, 2003). In 2004, she received a Master of Arts.
Since 2008 Svetlana has been teaching at the Belarusian State University of Culture and Arts, since 2009 – at the Belarusian State Academy of Music. She teaches such author courses as «History and Analysis of Ballet», «History and Analysis of Contemporary Dance», «History and Analysis of Contemporary Music».
Since 2015 – lecturer of the European College of Liberal Arts in Belarus.
Since 2001 Svetlana has published in belarusian and foreign periodicals, media, encyclopedias, etc. She has published (as a critic and an author) in «Mastactva» and «Parter» magazines, «Kultura» and «Litaratura i Mastactva» newspapers (Belarus), «Ballet», «Line» (Russia), «Dance in Ukraine and in the world» (Ukraine), «Mūzikas Saules» (Latvia) magazines; Internet magazines Kultprosvet.by, Artaktivist.org/theatre/, Zernie-performa.net, Culture.pl, Kulturaenter.pl.
One of the authors of the books “Contemporary dance of Post-Soviet space” (Moscow, 2013), “Dance labyrinth. The history of the International Festival of Modern Choreography in Vitebsk” (Minsk, 2013).
Professional interests – experimental theatre practices, physical and dance theatre, contemporary dance and contemporary ballet.
Since 2012 – head and curator of the Press center of the International Festival of Modern Choreography in Vitebsk.
2012–2014 – chief editor of the website about Belarusian contemporary theatre Artaktivist.org/theatre/
Since 2015 – editor of the Platform of performative practices Zernie http://ziernie-performa.net/
Since 2015 – curator of the educational program of the Forum of Experimental Plastic Theatres “PlaStforma-Minsk”.
Since 2015 – founder and curator of the educational project in the sphere of performing practices “Theatre + Body”. The aim of the project is to create a platform of non-formal education in the field of contemporary theatre and performance practices in Belarus, which will become a space for research, exchange of experience, increase of professional level and promotion of new, relevant theatrical forms and techniques.
Participation in research projects
- International conference “Identity – Autonomy – Critical Discourse. Dance in Central/Eastern Europe After 1989” (Lublin, PL, 2012)
- IX World Congress of the International University Theatre Association (AITU-IUTA) “Traditions, research, experimentation: the essential elements of contemporary university theatre” (Minsk, BY, 2012)
- III-IV International Congress of Belarusian studies (Kaunas, LT, 2013, 2014)
- Discussion panel “The periphery of dance in native Europe” (Bialystok, PL, 2015)
- Discussion panel “Transformational potential of avant-garde movements in art” in the framework of Eastern Europe Initiatives Congress (Lublin, PL, 2015)
- Writing Movement Network (Riga, LV, 2016)
- International scientific symposium within the project “Choreographic territories – Eastern Partnership” (Minsk, BY, 2016)
- International Festival of Modern Choreography (Vitebsk, BY, 2003–2015)
- Forum of Experimental Plastic Theatres “PlaStforma-Minsk” (Minsk, BY, 2013–2016)
- International Dance Theatres Festival (Lublin, PL, 2012–2014)
- Polish Dance Platform (Lublin, PL, 2014)
- International Festival of Contemporary Dance “Kaleidoscope” (Bialystok, PL, 2015)
- International Festival of Contemporary Dance “New Baltic Dance” (Vilnus, LT, 2015, 2016)
- International Festival of Contemporary Dance “Time to Dance” (Riga, LV, 2016)
- Czech Dance Platform (Prague, CZ, 2016)
- Aerowaves Spring Forward Festival (Pilsen, CZ, 2016)
Theoretical researches of Belarusian contemporary dance and contemporary ballet (the selected publications):
- To be silent in Belarusian // Contemporary dance of Post-Soviet space. – Moscow: Ballet, 2013. – P. 37–73.
- Belarusian choreography and IFMC // Dance maze. Contemporary choreography. History of the International Festival of Modern Choreography in Vitebsk. 25 years. – Minsk: Magic, 2013. – P. 22–34.
- Eksperymenty, próby, innowacje. Białoruski taniec w latach 20. i 30. XX wieku // http://kulturaenter.pl/article/eksperymenty-proby-innowacje-bialoruski-taniec-w-latach-20-i-30-xx-wieku/
- In the beginning was the body // http://ziernie-performa.net/blog/2015/04/07/vnachale-bylo-telo/
- New Belarusian dance: the beginnings // http://eepap.culture.pl/feuilleton/new-belarusian-dance-beginnings